This Avocado Chicken Salad is a great addition to your Paleo, Autoimmune Protocol, 21 Sugar Detox or Candida Diet meal plan! It is made without the mayo so it is egg-free, allergy-free and can be made with your leftover chicken. Make it for lunch or dinner or even just a snack. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
I grew up in Florida where avocados are plentiful but I never actually ate one until I was an adult! It sounds funny to me now, but the only time I had actually seen the “green stuff” (known as guacamole to the rest of the world) was at restaurant when the wait staff accidentally brought some out on my dad’s dinner plate. With his disgusted face, he would push it aside and would not even touch it. How was a little girl to know what she was missing out on?
Fast forward to many years later, my husband kindly coaxed me into trying a small bite on a chip at a local Mexican restaurant. I absolutely fell in love with the stuff and I’m so grateful now for that day! Now that I am trying hard to heal my body through my diet, I basically survive on avocados. I even have two avocado trees now planted in my own backyard. Who would have thought, right?? The anti-inflammatory benefits are so great, especially for those who suffer from arthritis, joint pain or an autoimmune disease. Even if I don’t have time to whip up a recipe like this one, I try to eat them every day as a side on my plate for breakfast or lunch to get my fill of those healthy fats and omega 3’s. Sometimes though, my lunches can get pretty bland, so I had to figure out a way to switch things up but still keep it simple.
During the week, I almost always roast an organic chicken and I’m always trying to figure out what to do with the leftovers. I knew there had to be a healthy recipe that I could throw together in a fairly short amount of time. So this Paleo avocado chicken salad recipe is pretty easy and you can adapt it to your liking as needed. Who needs mayonnaise anyway? You are better off without it!
Here is what you will need for this awesome detox diet recipe:
- 2 cups organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large or 2 small ripe avocados
- ⅓ cup green onions, finely chopped (if substituting white or red onions, use ¼ cup)
- 1 stalk of organic celery, finely chopped
- 2 T cilantro, chopped
- ½ of a lime, juiced
- Drizzle of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, If moisture is needed, drizzle to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- If you are not using leftover chicken, cook your chicken breasts ahead of time, let them cool and then tear them apart until you have about 2 cups. Baking the chicken works perfectly fine but I find that if you boil them, they actually are easier to tear and softer to eat in a dish like this. If you are using leftover chicken, measure 2 cups worth and put into a mixing bowl.
- Cut open, peel and add your avocado(s) into the mixing bowl and mash it together with your chicken. (Don't scoop! The most nutritious part of the avocado is the dark green layer just under the skin so if you scoop, you will lose out on that)
- Add the rest of your ingredients and mix together. Salt & pepper to taste.
Additionally, feel free to add raisins, walnuts, apple, more or less onion.. really whatever you like in your chicken salad! I personally love cilantro so I added a little bit more than stated in the recipe. It is pretty flexible and oh so delicious.
Try out this recipe and let me know what you think! I would love to hear what you added to this recipe to fit your tastes!